Sunday, June 25, 2006

The Gift and the Curse

So, I talked about this a little bit before, but it popped into my mind again today. I helped my grandmother moved this weekend, and I had to pass by one of the stations I just sent a resume tape to. On the way back home, we passed by it, and I thought about a recent conversation I had with a former employee of said station, who by the way is a big time Anchor/Reporter now. But she was telling me about her time there, and how she was from there. And I expressed my concern that a lot of these small market stations, for whatever reason, have been hiring people that are actually from the small town/city/area, despite experience. I mean fools (yeah, I said it) that just woke up from their post-graduation hangover are getting these jobs, yet I, can't get one, b/c I'm not from the area. I mean, how hard can it be to learn a few street names and pronunciations of newsmakers' names? Pulling out a map and asking a few questions, or going to meet these people face to face shouldn't take more than a day or 2. But nooooooooooooooooooo. They want somebody that's FROM the area. *End rant*

I think I'll just email this ND first thing Tuesday, maybe even call, and see where they're at in th hiring process.

On another note:
I HATE moving ANYTHING. I hate packing (luckily I didn't have to do that), I hate moving boxes and furniture, and I especially HATE heavy duty cleaning. This weekend was the second time I've had to do heavy duty cleaning, and fortunately the first time, it was one room, that wasn't all that dirty (although it took over 5 hours to clean it top to bottom)

But this place. Oh. My. Goodness. This is my great uncle's rent house, no longer rent house since my grandmother moved in. But the previous renters? I swear fo God, had to be about the nastiest folk in the WORLD. I just could NEVER move out of a place and not clean it. I mean, whatever happened to common courtesy, and wanting your security deposit back. I bet my uncle used up the deposit on only ONE of the many repairs he had to make, and he's still got work today. This, right here, is why I do NOT want to use rental properties as my investment income. Plus, I'm too nice to demand something from somebody. But I guess, since it's money/business, I could probably get over that.

But anywho, back to the nasty folk. Also, it should've been embarrassing for them to leave it like that. 50 jillion jars of relaxer in the kitchen cabinet, cd's in other drawers. Just. Ridiculous. I'm hoping that whenever I move from anywhere, and probably here, that I can clean as best as I can, PLUS hire one of those cleaning services that do make-readies for apartments.

Well, que sera, sera. Have a good week peeps!!

No comments: