Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Small Town Television....

...is very interesting. It's almost like anyone who's a journalist should minor, or double major in psychology. Because people call about the most idiotic things, the most trivial things, and because they are essentially your "customer" you have to pacify them.

I remember one of the first calls I got here, a lady complaining that the Lotto numbers didn't stay up on the screen long enough to check her numbers. Another guy called asking about a meeting, and ended up telling me about his lack of education and who wasn't helping him at the city and who was leaving him to practically live on the street. I have to do local birthdays, and people will TAKE YOUR HEAD OFF if you don't get their name, or their loved one's name on. ESPECIALLY, if they didn't call in time for you to get it on the air, they EXPECT you to get it on the next day. Annnnddd........I love how people call asking about commercials and infomercials that happen to air on our station, and EXPECT us to know the information from the infomercial. Honestly, had I ever watched the one I was asked about the other day at 4:10 in the AM, I could've given her the number. BUT, I don't watch infomercials, and TWO I was working. Don't have time to write down numbers. Anywho, this will never stop for me, as long as I'm in this business, so I'm learning to deal with it.

On a side note: It's interesting how I ended up ALL over in this story on a competing station's newscast.

2 comments:

Sherlon Christie said...

sounds like a lot of drama...how did they get the phone number? I thought people only call the newspaper with problems like that.

journiemajor said...

The website. The phone book. There are certain numbers, even in Dallas, that are listed for the stations. We have a contest line too, Idk if they end up calling that.