Saturday, July 29, 2006

Always Be Prepared

I struggled with what to title this post, b/c so many things happened today that were crazy, but I think this was the best choice. I also intended to make an outline b/c I did not want to leave anything out.

Well, normally, if I'm doing a story where I might get dirty (well it hasn't happened) my producer warns me. She warned me for the horse show we did, although my shoes never touched anything other than concrete. Ohhhhhhhhhh but today, she didn't tell me anything till I got there.

So I was looking cute, cute little dress shoes, nice makeup, and where do we go? To the frickin rodeo. A wild west show really. So we get there at 1, b/c we were told to be there at 1 to interview people, although the show didn't start until 2:30. We're told the star/host of the show would come out, and to meet him around the gate, and we did. I was like, "oh that would be cool, interviewing him through the gate." But what does he do? He opens the gate, and tells us to come on in. Amongst dirt and dung. So here's the little conversation.
My producer:"oh okay."
Me: "Mmmm I don't know."
And of course, what I thought would happen did happen. I took one step in, and started sinking, and hence, the rest of the convo...
Me: "Uhhhhhh I don't think this will work."
My producer: "Are you okay?"
Me (thinking): "Of course I'm not okay, I'm sinking in cow/horse/cattle dung!"
I was not prepared for dung.
I step out and brace myself and step back in, and the interview starts.

Now I don't think I mentioned this, but also, he rode up on his horse, Charlie. So Charlie's there, trying to get on the camera (b/c apparently he's famous and all, been on a CBS miniseries and a Robert Duvall movie) and he's like righthere, next to my chest. Idk if horses can smell fear, or maybe b/c Charlie's 20 years old and his sniffer's not as good as it used to be, but I swear he was going to knock me down, as many times as he swung his head over towards me. I wasn't prepared for horses being thisclose to my face.

And so, we're waiting and waiting, people start to show up. There's this one lady that comes in with a group and a teeny tiny teency tiny baby. And we're like "that baby HAS to be no more than 2 weeks old" he was so tiny. So she's almost slinging him around, she leaves with him, comes back. I look up into the stands, people watching, and I see her with a blanket over part of her chest. I've seen that before, she's frickin breastfeeding! AT THE RODEO!!!! What the world man. Who breastfeeds at the rodeo? It was crazy. I was not prepared for lactating mothers.

2 comments:

Hannah D said...

Oh man. Don't things just seem to happen like that all the time? We prepare and prepare, and come to find we prepared wrongly!

Sherlon Christie said...

A rodeo? wow.