Thursday, December 22, 2005

Ok so I'm trying to learn some new things to do on this blog. As you can see, my picture is up now. I've added a couple of links to some of my frequently visited websites and some funny blogs. But I just realized that the 2 posts I thought I posted on the 13th were actually just saved. So enjoy reading those 9 days later. And also, for those who may have seen the "all about me" post on the 2nd, I just also realized that it said "hoe size" instead of shoe size, so it has been corrected. I don't know if there's any such phrase, but trust I wouldn't even want to know.

Now, on to something else.

This business is all about working your way up and doing any and everything to get to the top. That also means that, depending on what you wanna do, but specifically in news, you have to move wherever you're offered a job. And right now, I'm stilllll waiting on the news director from one station, and no other offers are coming right now. There's a producer job in the city where my boyfriend is, but that is not what I wanna do. But I wanna be with him and start a family. It's easier for a man to make the decision to decide between a career and family, b/c he doesn't have to sit out for maternity leave. Although there is paternity leave now, but I doubt a lot of men in media are taking it, b/c this is a cutthroat business, and the more you're out, the sooner you're gone. But recently, 2 women that worked at my station left to be with their family. So what are we women pursuing a career in broadcasting to do? It would be nice to pull a $15 million a year contract like Katie Couric, but what sacrifices do we have to make along the way? And granted, my boyfriend is an aspiring music producer (anyone looking to start a label, looking for talent, looking for a company to sign with, let me know so he can get the ball rollin) and hopefully, soon I won't have to work. Which brings up another subject.

Over Thanksgiving, I was talking to my dad about my future, and told him that while I looooooove journalism(which I do), I never expected to marry rich. So I figured if I have to work, then I should do something I love, which is broadcasting. But since, the plan is for my bf, soon to be husband, supposedly, to be a successful producer and singer/rapper, I think it'd be safe to say, since he would be successful, that I wouldn't have to work. And that I could stay home and take care of the house, kids, etc. But, he's also asked me to be his publicist. Now I don't really mind this, but I'm not comfortable with it, I don't like the idea of working with a spouse.

But the issue is, no matter what industry you're in, if you don't have to work, if you have enough money to live on and buy necessities, and occasionally little luxuries, w/o going bankrupt, why work? I know the past couple of big lottery winners (over $300 million) have said they're going to continue working. Now I don't know if they said they'd work until they can't, or just whenever they wanna quit. And I understand, me myself, I'd probably work until I paid off all my debts, and the debts of family members, and whoever else, and then quit, or cut back on hours (not that I have that many right now anyway). So is it wrong for me to not want to work if I don't have to?

1 comment:

Sherlon Christie said...

How can I be linked to your blog? I know you like reading my crazy stories.